It’s that time of year again where the Listmaker of our book club receives the list for the year. In December, we all bring our suggestions to our Christmas dinner gathering. The Listmaker carefully writes each one down as we sit in a circle enjoying our sweets after our book-themed Kris Kringle. It’s a tough job for her as she always ends up with a list of over 50 odd books. Some of us come prepared with a basket of books to help influence by the look of the book, others have a paper list that they hand over. We leave having eaten, drunk and talked to our hearts content.
In January, the Listmaker brings a draft list to the annual picnic and over drinks and food in the Women’s Peace Gardens, the titles are debated – sometimes more fiercely than others – until it is too dark. Then before January is done, the list is sent out.
So here it is with some great choices.
- February – Extinctions by Josephine Wilson, and The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning by Margaret Magnusson
- March – The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy
- April – The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin, and The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott
- May – From the Wreck by Jane Rawson
- June – The Way Back by Kylie Ladd
- July – Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
- August – The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose
- September – Anything is Possible, and My Name is Lucy Barton both by Elizabeth Strout
- October – Closing Down by Sally Abbott
- November – The Woman on the Stairs by Bernhard Schlink
- December – TBA
The Listmaker tries to ensure that there is something for everyone. Some months have two titles. I can’t remember which year this started, but it started when there were too many good suggestions and she decided to pair some up.
It is always exciting to see some of the books I’ll be reading this year and even better seeing some great Australian women writers in here. I tend to read most of the books on the list, and other books for research and interest. Last year I managed to read over 40 books and hope to read more this year. I’m always hopeful! So many books to read!
What books are your book club reading this year, and how are the books chosen?